Day 11 - The 2-in-1 List of the Worst Holiday Dishes & the Worst Christmas Presents
My family had a 'Tacky Christmas Party' a few years ago. We had to draw names and buy the tackiest and cheesiest present we could find for the person whose name we got.
As part of the theme I was asked to look after the dinner…
The food of course had to be 'tacky' so I came up with the following menu:
- Macaroni and cheese offering a selection of both orange and white President's Choice brands with packaged ketchup on the side.
- A pot of chili made from canned Stagg Chili, of course. I was also able to get some day-old stale buns to go along with it.
- Hot dogs, microwaved so they are dried out and split, instead of being boiled or barbecued.
- For snacks, a bowl of Cheezies, plain potato chips and some dried meat jerky.
- Dessert was a 'cat litter box cake'. This served as a stunning visual on the table and was actually quite tasty.
The gifts were wonderful, consisting of:
- Bearpaw slippers complete with hair, claws and would make "Grrr..." sounds when you stomped your feet in them.
- Care Bear sweatshirts.
- A Vanilla Ice rapper costume from the early 90's.
- Abba CDs.
- A glowing electronic waterfall picture that shimmered when you plugged it in.
- A hairy robotic monkey’s head that turns by the command of a remote control - This was what I got for my sister-in-law April. Merry Christmas 'Ape'!
- Etc. Etc.
It was a lot of fun and everyone got into the Christmas spirit with all these quirky dishes and gifts.
- Glenn Laycock, Vice President Account Director at Warrens Waterless Printing
Precious memories are worth celebrating. Let us not forget those with Alzheimer's or other dementias who suffer from a loss of memory. For more information, visit the Alzheimer Society of Toronto.
What was the worst Christmas gift or Christmas dish you have ever had? Let us know by commenting below!